Friday, July 17, 2009
Doctor's appointments
Last Wednesday we had our routine check up down at Primary Children's. It was a very quick appointment which was nice. They did the ultrasound and echo of his heart like always, then we got to talk to the doctor. The doctor was the same one that we saw last time ( we really like him, actually we've all the doctor's down there). He told us that he had done some research since our last visit since he has never heard of it before and it's not very common. He told us that basically what he found out is that in all of the cases he found, if the baby can make it through the pregnancy, after it is no longer connected to the placenta the vein goes away like it is supposed to and the baby doesn't need surgery. They still would rather us have him down there so they can monitor him, and make sure his other problems, like his leaky valve, are getting better, but basically it was really good news. He said the ones that don't make it are the ones, who while still in the uterus, get hydrops, or that basically their heart just can't take the extra amount of blood. But he said that they are monitoring him very closely on that aspect and that his heart is handling the extra blood very well. So now we don't have to go back down again until August 4th. It is going to be a nice break from our every other week drive, plus, as of now, I don't have one single appointment that whole week! We are getting very tired of appointments. Then this last Wednesday we had an appointment with the perinatologist at EIRMC. He basically did the same thing, an ultrasound with measurements. They said his heart size hasn't gotten any bigger in relevance to his chest, and that he weighs 4lbs 7oz. They also said that I am borderline on being too high with the amount of amniotic fluid, but that for now they are just going to keep on eye on it. But it does explain why my stomach is so tender, and why I get shortness of breath from doing nothing occasionally, they are symptoms of having too much fluid. Well I can honestly say that I am learning a lot through this pregnancy, and that if I ever have a "normal" one, Jason and I probably won't know what to do!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment